National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day

March 24th, 2022

Do you like chocolate-covered raisins? Today is your day: National Chocolate Covered raising Day!

I love them! Especially while watching the telly. And I won’t stop until I finish the whole pack. My favourite is raisins covered with milk chocolate.

Jitka previously mentioned the Dechox challenge and I can proudly say that I haven’t had chocolate for nearly a whole month. A whole month people! To tell the truth, I haven’t actually missed it as much as I was expecting to but I am unfortunately compensating with other things. I always thought I was a chocoholic. But the Dechox challenge showed me that I might be addicted to sugar in general.

Chocolate-coated raisins contain two mega tasty ingredients, namely chocolate, and raisins. Raisins are very good for us but poisonous for our doggies and chocolate is good for us in moderation but again not so good for our furry friends.

Why are raisins so dangerous for dogs?

Raisins are very toxic to dogs and so are grapes – from which raisins are made of. They can cause severe kidney failure. The reason some dogs develop kidney failure is unknown. There are no risk factors that have been specifically identified and every dog is considered equally at risk of developing kidney failure after eating raisins. There appears to be individual sensitivity in dogs. Some dogs appear to tolerate small doses without problems while other dogs develop poisoning after eating just a few raisins. There is no way to predict which dog may be more sensitive.

The first signs of raisin toxicity are vomiting and diarrhoea. They often develop within a few hours of ingestion. Further symptoms include weakness, increased drinking, increased urination, abdominal pain, lack of appetite, and bad breath. Acute kidney failure develops within 48 hours of ingestion.

How can we prevent it?

  • Keep all raisins, grapes, or food containing them out of reach of your pets
  • Do not share any food that may contain raisins or grapes with your dog (mince pies, Christmas pudding)
  • Do not use raisins or grapes as treats

Why is chocolate dangerous for dogs?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs as it contains the chemical theobromine which is a bit like caffeine. The darker the chocolate the more theobromine it contains and therefore is more toxic.

Signs of chocolate poisoning are vomiting, diarrhoea, severe agitation, tachycardia, tremors, seizures, and collapse. Most symptoms will begin to appear within two hours of ingestion, but as theobromine is metabolized slowly, it can take as long as 24 hours to appear. Remember, dogs love chocolate as much as we do so keep everything out of their paws’ reach.

When to contact your vet?

If you suspect that your doggie has ingested raisins, grapes, or dark chocolate then seek medical advice immediately. Do not wait to see if they develop symptoms. If your dog is treated quickly, they are likely to make a full recovery.

Have a great Chocolate Covered Raisin Day. Enjoy this treat with your friends, co-workers, neighbours, or family members but not with your doggies.

Bea xx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back

What People Say...

Used you’re Calming Floral  Spray yesterday was so impressed with it . I had a dog in my salon that has dryer seizures and gets anxious. I sprayed it around her and was remarkable the difference in her behaviour. It actually worked so well I had to check dog was okay she was very relaxed snoozing I’ve tried other remedy’s with no real effect shall be sticking with your calming spray from now on 😍
Lisa Addison